If you like tacos that bring the heat, you are going to want to try Chicken Tacos Al Pastor! These are sweet, spicy and everything that you need for your taco Tuesday! Sometimes I get bored with plain old tacos and I need to spice them up. Let's be honest, I have never met a taco I didn't like, but I need variety. Ricante's Tropical Pineapple Habanero gives this dish the perfect kick to spice up your night.
I have struggled to thoroughly enjoy tacos in lettuce wraps and always just end up eating them in a salad. This is really not the same excitement as a regular taco in a tortilla or crispy shell. However I finally gave in and tried a cabbage cup. I needed something that would satisfy that same crunch as a shell- this has never sounded good to me! I am not sure why I have been waiting so long because this was PERFECT!! So much crunch and sturdy enough to hold all the juicy ingredients of my taco. If you are anything like me, I HATE when things are falling out of the cup, shell, bun, etc on to my plate. The cabbage cups held up to my test and I don't think I can go back! Not to mention, a head of cabbage makes basically an endless amount of "shells" and only costs about a dollar. Perfect for an entire feast.
I will caution you that this marinade may not be the best for the kiddos because it is very spicy. One way to get around this is setting aside some chicken with the marinade and some without to give them the chance to enjoy this meal minus the spice! You can always give them a little dip of the sauce on the side to allow them to try it, too.
Tips for Chicken Tacos Al Pastor:
- Use any shell that you like- if you are not doing Whole30 feel free to use regular shells. Siete Foods also has wonderful grain free shells and tortillas.
- This is spicy, so if you want it less spicy, use less Ricante sauce or half of a jalapeno.
- If you prefer to cut down on ingredients, just use taco seasoning instead of the various seasonings mentioned.
- This sauce freezes really well so freeze your leftovers for your next taco night.
- My Best Ever Guacamole goes great with these tacos, too!
Chicken Tacos Al Pastor
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 2 adobo chiles
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 one inch round of pineapple
- ½ white onion
- ¼ red onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 radishes
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Ricante Tropical Pineapple Sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
- Place Chicken in Instant Pot with 1 cup of water and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. If you don't have an Instant Pot, you can also grill, boil or bake chicken until cooked through.
- Combine adobo chiles, ½ round of pineapple, white onion, Ricante Tropical Pineapple Sauce, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, oregano, ½ lime juiced and white vinegar into blender and blend until smooth.
- Once chicken is done, shred it and combine with ½ of the marinade. Save the other half of the marinade for topping in your taco.
- Finely dice the other half of the round of pineapple, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro and radishes and combine in a bowl. Add the rest of the lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. This will make the pineapple salsa to top your taco.
- Build your taco in a cabbage cup and enjoy!