I know chili season is almost over for most people, however here in the mountains, it is 10 degrees as I am writing this. We typically don't get spring weather until around June, so I am still very much in chili mode. This Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is super simple and will warm your soul.
The Instant Pot is one of my favorite way to make chili because it is something I can throw together fairly last minute and still end up with a delicious dinner. I love recipes that you can throw everything in at once and call it good. This recipe only takes about 30 minutes to get a really rich and creamy chicken chili.
Most white chicken chilis have lots of dairy and beans, which is not bad but doesn't work for everyone. This recipe is bean-free and dairy-free but is still super satisfying. Instead of dairy, this recipe has coconut milk and potatoes as the starchy component. It also has lots of green chilis and spices. This can be made either very spicy (how I like it) or more on the mild side if you are feeding a family.
Tips for Instant Pot White Chicken Chili:
- If you don't have an instant pot, you can absolutely make this on the stovetop in a pan. I recommend cooking the chicken separately, then adding it in. Bring everything to a boil and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- I use a jalapeno in this recipe, if you want it milder you can you a poblano and if you want it spicier you can either double the jalapeno or use a serrano pepper. You can also choose the spice level of your green chilis as you wish.
- No immersion blender? No problem! You can use a regular blender to blend some of the broth and potatoes or you can eat it as is!
- You can always add some white beans if you like beans, too.
If you are looking for another great chili recipe, check out this Sweet Potato Chili recipe.
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 1 Pressure Cooker
- 1 Chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes diced
- 1 small White onion diced
- 1 Jalapeño diced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 14oz can Green chilis Medium spice
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 1 can Coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful Cilantro
- 1 Avocado sliced
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode. Add olive oil, white onion, garlic, and jalapenos. Saute for about two minutes.
- Add the rest of the chili ingredients to the pan and mix.
- Set the Instant Pot to Pressure cook for 10 minutes. You can add up to 4 extra minutes depending on the size of the chicken breast.
- When the Instant Pot is done, manually release the pressure. Remove the chicken and shred it.
- Use an immersion blender (or regular blender) to blend the potatoes into the broth. Only do this for a couple of pulses, there should still want some chunks in the chili.
- Add the chicken back to the chili. Serve with avocado and cilantro. Enjoy!