Fall is in the air and that means it's squash season- my favorite! I love trying all the different kinds of squash in the store, but delicata squash really stands out to me. It's sweet and creamy, but the coolest part is that you can eat the skin! This makes cooking and eating so much easier. This Roasted Delicata Squash recipe is simple and delicious to add as a side to any of your favorite meals.
The reason you can eat the skin on this squash is that the skin is much thinner than most winter squash. This also means they don't last as long on your counter so use it quickly! The easiest way to make delicata squash is by cutting it into thin slices and roasting it. Since you can cut the squash easily without partially cooking it, it makes the cooking time much faster than most squash.
You can find delicata squash in your grocery store from late summer to early winter. You can use it as a side dish, on a salad, or even stuffed (similar to a zucchini boat). When picking a squash out at the store, you want it to be very yellow with green stripes. If it is light green colored, that means it isn't quite ripe.
Tips for Roasted Delicata Squash:
- Use any of your favorite seasonings to roast it with. You can go sweet or savory with this squash.
- Wait until it starts to caramelize to pull it out of the oven, this is the best part.
- If you don't know what spice blend to use, I recommend buying some Oomph Blends! This is the easiest kitchen hack for seasoning veggies. Use the code altitude15 for 15% off your order.
Roasted Delicata Squash
- 1 Delicata Squash
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Parsley
- ½ teaspoon Sage
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F degrees.
- Cut the squash in half, length-wise. Scoop all the seeds out into the trash and slice into ¼ inch slices.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and evenly space out the squash on the baking sheet. Coat the squash in olive oil and all the seasonings.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the squash for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes is up, flip all the squash to the other side. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- When the squash is finished, serve with your favorite meal and enjoy!