Chicken wings are a staple of the summer, however they can be tricky to make at home. They are never the same as when you order them out. Recently I have started experimenting with my air fryer to make wings because everyone raves about them. I finally have perfected them and a little secret is that it's not the air fryer... it actually is all about the sauce! These Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings are not too crispy, not too saucy, they are just right.
I have found it is all about having some sort of nut butter or nut base in the sauce versus just a thin sauce. This helps the outside of the wings crisp up a little and the sauce sticks to the wings better. You can use really any nut butter, but almond butter and cashew butter are my favorite. These Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings also have tahini, which is similar to a nut butter consistency. Try it out with any sauce you make for wings and I promise it changes everything.
The trick I have found with the air fryer is to cook the wings almost all the way through then add the sauce. After tossing the wings in the sauce, I throw them back into the air fryer for a few minutes to help crisp them up a little. Now if you know me, I am a big sauce lover, BUT I don't love my wings dripping in sauce. That is why throwing them back in the air fryer helps. Then, of course, I serve lots of sauce on the side to dip them in.
Tips for Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings:
- Use a thinner consistency of nut butter- it will mix better. If you just have thick nut butter, add an extra tablespoon of water.
- Pat your wings completely dry before putting them in the air fryer (or oven)- this will also help with crispiness.
- If you like it a little spicier, add some extra Sriracha or even your favorite hot pepper.
- If you are not doing a Whole30, you can use maple syrup or honey instead of a date.
- If you are a big ranch lover on your wings check out my homemade ranch recipe.
I used Greensbury Chicken Wings for this recipe, and they were perfect! They are individually wrapped in one-pound packages and come right to your doorstep. I love Greensbury because you can choose all the cuts of meat you want in a box (a la cart) or you can order a pre-packaged box, like their Whole30 box. You can also order one time or choose a subscription! This makes it really easy for families of all sizes, single people or couples to pick the perfect box with no worries. You can use the code ALTITUDE for 10% off your first order!
Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings
- 1 pound chicken wings
- ¼ cup coconut amino
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 date
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- Salt and pepper
- Pat chicken wings completely dry. Then put in the air fryer and spray with avocado oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on 400 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- While wings are cooking, combining the rest of the ingredients into a blender and blend together. If you are using honey or maple syrup, you can skip this step and just whisk it together.
- Once wings are cooked most of the way through, put them in a bowl and pour ¾ of the sauce on top of them- reserve the ¼ left for dipping. Be sure the wings are fully coated.
- Place coated chicken wings back in the air fryer for 5-6 minutes.
- Serve with dipping sauce and enjoy!