We are getting into the winter months now and we all love a good chili when it is freezing out, while we are watching football, or just to freeze and have on hand for an easy meal. Chili can be odd without beans if you are eating Whole30, Paleo, or just avoiding beans. With all the starchy potatoes, you won't even miss the beans in this one! Sweet Potato Chili is hearty, comforting and most of all delicious for all those winter days coming!
One thing I love during a Whole30 (or anytime) is being able to make a large pot of something that I can use for multiple meals throughout the week. That is exactly what I do with this Sweet Potato Chili. It makes a great dinner, of course. However, it goes great on top of eggs, in a breakfast bowl, on top of a taco bowl for lunch, and whatever else you can think of! It also freezes great so you can make a double so to stick it in the freezer for an easy meal on another day.
Tips for Sweet Potato Chili:
- Use any meat you like- I really like ground turkey, but pork, beef, or chicken would go just fine!
- If you can't find white sweet potatoes, regular sweet potatoes, Japanese sweet potatoes or even regular potatoes would be delicious too!
- I use mild Rotel so that it isn't too spicy, but you can use hot or even add more jalapenos to make it extra spicy if that is what you like.
- If you are doing a Whole30, avocado goes well in this for your plated fat.
- One of my favorite things to do is add bone broth to this chili to make it really gut friendly! I love Fond Bone Broth's flavor Conductor for this recipe. Use the code ALTITUDE for 20% off your first order.
If you are looking for even more comfort meals for the snowy days ahead, check out this Italian Wedding Soup.
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 medium-large white sweet potato diced to ½ inch cubed
- 16 oz chicken broth
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 can Rotel mild
- 2 tablespoon garlic- minced minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup water
- Salt pepper
- In a large pot, heat avocado oil to medium high heat. Add ground turkey and cook until brown.
- Then add red peppers, poblano pepper, jalapeno and onion to pan with chicken and saute until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add chicken broth, tomato paste, Rotel, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chili powder, water and salt/pepper.
- Simmer until it is all combined- about 10 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes at the end and simmer until they are fork tender- this takes about 20 minutes. If you are using an instant pot, you can pressure cook it at this point for 5 minutes.