We are getting into the winter months now and we all love a good chili when it's freezing out, while watching football, or just to freeze and have on hand for an easy meal. My Sweet Potato Chili is hearty, comforting and most of all delicious for all those winter days coming!
There's no beans in this one, so it's perfect if you're eating Whole30 or Paleo. And while chili can be odd without beans, with all the starchy potatoes, you won't even miss them in this one!
One thing I love during a Whole30 (or anytime) is being able to make a large pot of something I can use for multiple meals throughout the week. That is exactly what I do with this Sweet Potato Chili. It makes a great dinner but is also delicious on top of eggs, in a breakfast bowl, on top of a taco bowl for lunch, or whatever else you can think of! It also freezes great so you can make a double so to stick it in the freezer for an easy meal on another day.
Tips for Sweet Potato Chili:
- Use any meat you like. I really like ground turkey, but pork, beef, or chicken would work just fine!
- If you can't find white sweet potatoes, regular sweet potatoes, Japanese sweet potatoes or even regular potatoes would be delicious too!
- I use Rotel's canned mild diced tomatoes so that it isn't too spicy, but you can use hot or even add more jalapeños to make it extra spicy if you like.
- If you're doing a Whole30, avocado goes well in this for your plated fat.
- One of my favorite things to do is add bone broth to this chili to make it really gut friendly! I love Fond Bone Broth's flavor Conductor for this recipe. Use the code ALTITUDE for 20% off your first order.
If you're looking for even more comfort meals for the snowy days ahead, check out this Italian Wedding Soup.
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 1 Red Pepper diced
- 1 Poblano Pepper diced
- 1 Jalapeño diced
- 1 Small White Onion diced
- 1 tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 1 Medium White Sweet Potato diced to ½ inch cubed
- 16 oz Chicken Broth
- 1 Small Can Tomato Paste
- 1 Can Rotel Diced Tomatoes mild
- 2 tablespoon Minced Garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 2 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 cup Water
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large pot, heat avocado oil to medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook until brown.
- Add red peppers, poblano pepper, jalapeño and onion to pan with chicken and sauté until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add chicken broth, tomato paste, Rotel, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chili powder, water and salt/pepper.
- Simmer until it's all combined, about 10 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes at the end and simmer until they are fork tender This takes about 20 minutes. If you're using an Instant Pot, you can pressure cook it at this point for 5 minutes.