Side dishes are one of the hardest things to come up with (for me) and also what makes a meal. For my meals, I typically try to have some sort of "filler" that is both nutritious and will help fill me up. Many times this is a potato of some form. These Oven-Roasted Potatoes are super easy to make and are really delicious.
Many people believe that potatoes are not healthy and they shouldn't eat them all the time. I actually think quite the opposite! These red potatoes are full of vital nutrients like potassium, fiber, Vitamin C, and carbohydrates. All of these are important to the everyday function of our bodies- so I am a big fan of potatoes.
The trick to making these oven-roasted potatoes perfectly crispy is heating the pan ahead of time! I always let the pan heat in the oven while the oven is preheating. This allows the potatoes to sear on one side while they are cooking. You can do this either with a cast iron pan or with a sheet pan. Another tip is not to overcrowd the pan! Overcrowding can cause the potatoes to steam versus crisp. Be sure they are all on a single layer to ensure that you get a good crisp.
This recipe is perfect for meal prep, too! You can make a whole batch of these ahead of time and they heat up really nicely days later. To reheat these I put them back on the cast iron pan (or any pan you have) and crisp them up again. You can also reheat them in the air fryer.
Tips for Oven-Roasted Potatoes:
- Preheat the pan before putting potatoes on it.
- Use any seasoning you like. You can always sub out Italian seasoning and use your favorite one.
- I have found that ghee and olive oil make the best combo for this recipe.
- Don't overcrowd the pan so that the potatoes don't steam.
- I like to crisp them even more on the stovetop, which is optional, but it makes for a really good sear on the potato.
- 8 Red Potatoes I typically do about 2 per person
- 1 tablespoon Melted ghee
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
- 1 pinch Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. While the oven is preheating, place your cast iron pan (or baking sheet) in the oven to heat for about 10 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes into one-inch cubes.
- Combine the olive oil, ghee, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley, salt, and pepper into a small bowl and mix.
- Pull the pan out of the oven and place potatoes in the pan, being sure that they are in a single layer. Pour over the olive oil mixture and mix the potatoes until they are coated thoroughly.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 30 minutes. At the 15 minute mark, shake up the potatoes to be sure that all sides cook evenly.
- When the potatoes are done, place the cast iron pan on the stove on medium heat for 5 minutes to get the sides extra crispy. This step is optional but provides for the perfect crispiness.
- Top with a bit more salt and pepper, serve, and enjoy!